Built in 1923 by Jon Brown & Company, Ltd in Clydebank Scotland
Length: 623 ft
Width: 73 ft
Displacement: 20,158 gr. tons
Propulsion: Steam turbines, twin screws
Service Speed: 16.5 knots
Passenger capacity: 1,843 (221 First Class, 356 Second Class, 1266 Third Class)
Built for Cunard Line's Liverpool - New York service as well as considerable cruising. Franconia was quite popular as a winter cruise ship, particularly in the 30's when limits on US immigration and the Great Depression limited transatlantic travel. In 1939 she was requisitioned as a troopship, a role she served faithfully until 1948 when she was returned to civilian service. Cunard resumed her normal sailings from 1949 - 1956. She was scrapped in Scotland in 1956/57.
Radio station: In early March 1927 the passenger liner made a series of broadcasts of music from the ship’s orchestra.